Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Other Three R's

I have to admit to feeling a little disappointed after an hour and fourteen minutes I feel like i didn't learn anything. I heard three people who very informatively complain. It does not take some fancy degree or to be the chair of whatever to know our schools are still pretty well segregated. It almost seems like common sense as to why all our great teachers would flock to the more privileged schools, we have in a beginner Foundations of Ed class gone over the inequalities in education. We have addressed many of the issues with the high stakes testing and how Americas educational system is not culturally friendly. We have in many of our readings talked about the gap and deficit in education among our non white peers. I felt like i watched this long video and all it did was reiterate all the things we have already covered. I sat in bed with a paper and a pen waiting for that ahaa moment where one of them said something that really stood out but i didn't feel like it ever came. They did a fantastic job pointing out all the faults in out educational system though i will give them credit for that but this isn't what i think of as beneficial. If they had added more solutions, more what to do right now with what we have, I feel like that i would have gained more. I personally am not a fan of pointing out all the wrong without having a solution, a plan, or at the very least an idea for a better way. I don't mean to say the whole video was a complete waste i mean yes maybe a good magnet school could help integrate families, I would have thought good charter schools would do this to and was surprised to hear that's not the case. I just felt like the better half was alot of finger pointing.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/ericaswallow/2012/04/25/creating-innovators/ Lets be innovators instead!!

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree that there was nothing that stood out at being a better way to fix these problems. :( Kind of made me feel a little hopeless

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the graphic Tanya! I also agree that there is a lot of talk about the problems but very little talk about finding solutions to these problems, which is an issue. The segregation in schools and the way children are educated differently based on their social class is unacceptable. The other video with Tim Wise was a great watch--I highly recommend it if you have 40 minutes some day :)

    ReplyDelete