Sunday, November 23, 2014

IDEA

I'm not sure when this article was written but im assuming it has to be outdated. Under the IDEA education law falls the LRE least restrictive environment law and you can no longer isolate children with disabilities. Under FAPE every child is entitled to Free Appropriate Public Education including those with  disabilities. Even if child is in a coma or otherwise completely incapable of Barack Obama signed Rosa's Law which was put into place to end the use of  the term "Mentally retarded". So I feel like this article may be a little outdated however it still does hold a really good and true message. We should learn to embrace our differences, Children with special needs face so many obstacles yet somehow always seem so happy. We have much to learn from them, and yes many are soo incredibly capable and if we don't allow them to explore their talents we may miss out on so many gifts. I love the inclusion stricter it promotes acceptance and deteriorates bullying. My 8 year old is in an inclusion class and it really has changed her perspective for the better. I will often hear her say things like "I should be grateful I am able to do this". We also have an adult in our neighborhood who faces profound mental disabilities and it is great that my children have had the opportunity to watch him be such a great part of out neighborhood community. I think that it is ignorance that causes instances of people being shunned and like other topics in diversity...(sexual orientation, culture..) If it is not talked about openly people come up with their own wrongful and often hurtful accusatins.
 

1 comment:

  1. If it weren't for your blog post I never would've remembered that self-contained classrooms violate IDEA. Four for you Glenn Coco, you go Glenn Coco!

    ReplyDelete