Sunday, September 28, 2014

Delpit Argument

 Honestly,
   I found Delpit hard to read and hard to understand. What i did get out of it and correct me if im wrong, was a very narrow minded point of view. What i read and very simply stated was that Delpit feels that our white teachers are not culturally sensitive to colored culture and that we are not sensitive to their language either. I was actually offended when the author depicted black language with a southern accent, i'm sorry but really? I have never heard of a colored person in Rhode Island speak in such a way. I understood clearly the relevance in the tiny village in Alaska those people are for the most part secluded and have developed their own common language makes sense. To say, however, that in all of America we should teach in two different languages one with a southern accent apparently is just nonsense. I am pretty confident in saying that very few Americans speak fluent and correct formal English. English is one of the most difficult languages to learn, and its variations depend I believe more on where in the country or what country you live. Americans living in the southern part tend to have a more what we call southern accent that is not based on color. Northerners well we have are own twist on the language and have our own fun words like "Wicked" and "Bubbler". I also disagree with her way of using the teacher and Joeys conversation as if white people were the only people to make a language. colored people have created and abundance of complex intelligent languages and i wouldn't attempt to change them i wouldn't learn them and then accuse them of not being culturally sensitive if i didn't learn them correctly. If you wanted to be even broader than just America how about the 6,500 http://www.infoplease.com/askeds/many-spoken-languages.html other spoken languages around the world, do we alter all of them based on color do we say there should be a black Japanese? How far do you go with that argument?
 On the way to adress your students I agree with Delpit that the way you instruct can be confusing to children depending on rules with in the home. I however disagree with again what i saw as her being narrow minded; that colored children on learn in a direct way. I think that all children listen and follow instruction diffrently based on how they are talked to within the home i don't think this just applies to colored children. What i do believe is that the best way to handle and correct this is to educate teacher's, and then educate them some more. I think awareness and understanding will allow for teachers to instruct in a way that is best for her audience. I jsut don't agree with these writing's maybe it's me...I see things so much broader than that. If we are learning to be accepting and diverse don't write about how white people don't know how teach colered children because than someone can easily write about how colored teachers don't know how to teach whit kids and honestly what makes one argument better than the other? Write instead an article about how to better educate our teachers on diversity, how to make them more culturally aware. Please comment however you feel because maybe im reading into this wrong and it's just me i honestly am not sure.

3 comments:

  1. I felt the same way and I'm glad that I'm not the only one. I found this reading very hard to get through. I wasn't a fan of the tone that the author was setting. Very harsh. I know that these are the issues that we're dealing with I just wish she had went about it differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly agree with your opinion towards this article. Mine is the same. I did not like what the article was trying to imply. I don't like the fact she is just stating white people leave out cluture when it would be anyone from any race

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay well at least im not alone i honestly finished feeling angry annoyed and confused.

    ReplyDelete